Friday, August 22, 2008

How to Get Miro running in LinuxMint KDE (and others?)

Hello everyone.
First off, let me say that I searched to see if this particular 'tip' had been posted before to avoid redundancy and I couldn't find it. If I missed it and it HAS already been submitted, please remove this. Miro has been such a problem for me that I figured the solution that worked for me might save someone else days of research and headaches in trying to get it to work correctly.

In the other distros I've used, Miro worked right out of the gate. However, with LinuxMint Daryna KDE beta 011, Miro would open, begin to load the Miro Guide and then suddenly disappear. I uninstalled, made sure I had satisfied all its dependencies, reinstalled, downloaded source and compiled myself, blah, blah, blah. Still....same problem. The Miro Guide would start to load and the program would disappear.

The fix that worked perfectly for me was found buried deep in the Ubuntu forums and I wish I had the links to provide for you but I don't. To paraphrase, sun-java6 seems to be causing some kind of conflict. Simply try uninstalling sun-java6 and its related components and installing the icedtea-java7 packages. The ones that I installed are:

icedtea-java7-bin
icedtea-java7-jre
icedtea-java7-plugin

Disclaimer:
I am by no means a guru, in fact only have come back to Linux within the last three months (and have only used LinuxMint for the last three weeks) so if this does not work for you, I don't have the knowledge to answer any questions at all or suggest other possible solutions. Also, I don't know if these new java packages will break something else in your environment. I have found no issues at all with my own box so please take the risk of wreaking some unknown havoc on your machine into account. I don't even know WHY this works...but it did for me and hopefully it'll help someone else get Miro up and running.


Lastly, I want to thank everyone who has helped develop LinuxMint. Within the last 3 months, I've tried every distro out there that I could get my hands on and as soon as I booted into Daryna, I knew I'd found my Linux 'home'. Actually, my fate was sealed when I saw that it was only 19 seconds from Grub to desktop to load. Holy cow. :-)


Carrie
(5x5)

No comments: