Friday, August 22, 2008

How to enable autologin to your wifi

Edit by husse// From Daryna this is not necessary anymore - you get logged in without typing keys....//
Here's what I've done on my laptop to auto-login the keyrings. One main point is that the keyring password must be the same as your username password. I assume that this would work for different users as it stores the keyring in your home folder for each user, however I've never used more then one user so I'm unsure. The first thing to do is remove the keyring if the passwords are different by running:

Code: Select all
rm ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring


You could also do this in Nautilus by browsing to the directory and deleting default.keyring.

Next thing is to install labpam-keyring, this enables auto-login for the keyring.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install libpam-keyring


After this is installed you may need to restart to reset the password to the same password as your login password. I don't think it's needed but it might be.

We then need to edit a configuration file.

Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/pam.d/gdm


Add following lines to the end of file:

Code: Select all
# use session password for gnome-keyring
auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
session optional pam_keyring.so


Originally found on the ubuntuforums somewhere a few weeks ago I believe. No credit goes to me as I didn't figure any of this out just copy and pasted. Hope this helps.

No comments: